Sunday, August 26, 2007

Checking in from the chilly north




Sheesh. I've almost forgotten how to post a blog item.

Anyway, we sent Maeve back to college Friday night. We ate dinner at the restaurant she's been working at all summer. She seated people at the tables, a delicate balance of staying on the good side of the waiters -- they want all the tables they can get, but they don't want too many so they avoid disgruntled customers. The restaurant is called Ginger. Maeve, right at the front entrance, is asked many times every night: Are you Ginger? It's family owned and fusion-Asian with Indian influences. Will they make it here, land of moose stew and salmon? We'll see. But they were good to her all summer and we had a great send-off before her all-night flight back East.

Pete has been on night cops since he returned, murder and mayhem, up to 11 p.m. every night.

I've been launching interactive initiatives. Stuff like prep sports up the wazoo with lots of user-generated (read: proud parent) content -- fairly low-hanging fruit, actually; and some video editorials, and learning the web site from folks too busy to teach it to me. Many hours of frustration. I think I'm gonna restart my old blog and describe the current events inside one small northern newspaper.

Above and below are a few recent pics.

The raspberries are real, in my backyard, but just about spent now.
Maeve is on a hike we took up Bird Ridge her last weekend intown, you hike straight up but turn around in your tracks for a great view of Turnagain Arm. We stopped up top to eat our stash of cheese and triscuits. Those are Peter's knees in the gray pants on the left, and I'm behind the camera....Ummm, some wild flowers. The dog Clare, who did her fellowship year in Anchorage.

Re-entry has been serious and hard. But we're glad Maeve is doing fine. It's good to be back near my brother Kevin, here in Anchorage. But the winter, she's a comin'. We hope for a pretty September. We miss you all! Making travel plans.



2 comments:

Doug Kim said...

wow, nice pictures. Great to have another update from the north!

Kathleen McCoy said...

Hey there, how are you? How goes life
in web features? I met Hal Bernton (formerly of our paper) when he was here to write his story on sen. ted stevens. Hal told me about Kathy Best, one of his favorite peops at seattle times I guess, then I learned she worked with you. How is that going? What are you working on? Are you in that little office in the basement near the press, with yellow stickies everywhere? Somehow that image is vivid for me, and I realized I didn't have any yellow stickies anywhere around me.
Not a good sign!
Anyway, I hope this blog takes off. I hope to stay in touch with folks this way. I NEED my Knights! Hugs all around to Kale and Emma and you. Peter is sitting down to practice the piano, and it's only 12:30 a.m.! Love/ Kathleen