Thursday, August 30, 2007

Backyard Pics

The raspberries look yummy, Kathleen. Check out what's growing in my backyard:



Yup, that's a pineapple! I planted a bunch of them about three years ago, and finally I've got my first fruit. Some of the plants came from tops of supermarket pineapples that I stuck in some dirt to see if they would root. Others came from a friend who is a retired horticultural researcher. I don't know how long it takes pineapples to mature, but Mary says you can get them to ripen by sticking some apple slices around the plant. Not sure how my 7-year-old knows so much about gardening....



The orchid bloomed again. I discovered this plant hanging on the back fence about 6 years ago when I noticed a flash of color somewhere I had never seen anything but green. I've never done anything to it except hang it where I'm less likely to forget it exists. It would probably bloom more often if I sprayed it with orchid food once in a while.

Audrey has some flowers for you:

1 comment:

Kathleen McCoy said...

Hi Ellen -- these are great pictures and fun to read the details. I was wondering if hurricanes would be a problem, but it sure doesn't look like it from your pictures. Tell Mary thank you for the flowers!/ Kathleen