Monday, July 30, 2007

Last outpost pulling out



Hey there Knighties -- it's after 1 a.m., and Car and Moll and I just finished stacking all our stuff into the garage. We load a truck tomorrow night, and then move back to Walnut Creek Tuesday morning. It's been fun here, but I'm ready to go home and be with my house again.

I'm also actually looking forward to knocking out some stories, even in this ever-frightening atomosphere. I've been visiting my pals from the Chronicle, and everyone is either freaked out or depressed. I'm going to try to cheer them up. Been down this road before, unfortunately, and I learned that all freaking out does is get in the way of doing the work - and of enjoying the work. It's doesn't help anything. So it's a waste of energy.

From the bits rolling in over email, people seem to be acclimating OK into their usual worlds again. I wish you all the best of luck!

For those who didn't see my desert pix via email, attached above is a photo of me and my brother Chris and his 17-year-old son Spencer at Pyramid Lake in Nevada. It's a wonderful desert lake in the middle of an Indian reservation; we had a blast swimming there. Great way to cap off my Fellowship year.

Take care, everybody. I look forward to more news from youse!

2 comments:

kale kim said...

Good luck with getting back to "real life." I think it is important to be upbeat about it. Hang in there and send our love to Carolyn and Molly!

Kathleen McCoy said...

Your optimism is good. You will need it. And I know yours is genuine.
You have written songs about disappointing newspapers in the past. That's proof, you've been there before.

Hope you are doing great. We miss all three of you!