Wednesday, July 25, 2007

hi gang...

Is anybody reading the blog anymore? I'm wondering if this is a good communication tool for us, or if we should just stick to e-mail. Kim family is doing well, I think we appreciated all the time we spent driving up here and getting settled, seemed good to just be together and watch Kale's belly get bigger. I've started work, second week now. Imtiaz had a story in our paper my first day back, and my co-workers were teasing me: That guy's already writing stories from Islamabad, what's taking you so long?

I think it's surprisingly easy to get back into the swing of things, I'm working in a new job, on the web site, in charge of the features pages. Interesting challenge, and I'm working really hard to apply my d.school training to the job. I've got postits up all over my desk, and I think people think it's a little weird, but that's good, right?

I asked one of my bosses to find a room somewhere in the building where I could really get in and get messy, paint the walls, throw silly putty around, whatever. They found me a room down by where the old, mothballed presses are. I'm looking forward to taking it over and using for a kind of training they've never seen before at the Times. We'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone's doing well, take care and keep us posted!

Doug

3 comments:

Kathleen McCoy said...

Hey there, I'm listening! Will start recontributing my lousy video and little personal life to this blog. In need of connection to you all. Hello everyone. Doug, I love your crazy wall idea. Peter is back at ADN for fulltime short-term stint. Maeve is showing peops to tables at a new restaurant in anchortown called Ginger, making lattes at Kaladi (best coffee in the world) and being an unpaid intern at ACLU. Alaska Civil Liberties Union. We are good, of a little rough around the edges as we try to fit back into the world.
More soon. Thanks for writing, so good to hear from you!

Karl Vick said...

i think the blog is just the place for these updates. easier to integrate photos than in an e-mail, and the comments section beats a flurry of reply-all entries in the inbox. viva blog, i say.

Doug Kim said...

ok, viva blog it is. blog on.